Challura Vapi which was built by King Mahasena is identified as
Hurulu Wewa today.
contemporary rehabilitation work was undertaken in 1940’s.
According to the records of Irrigation Department, the tank was
filled for the first time after rehabilitation on 10th July 1949.
Although the rehabilitation work was completed in 1953, the Great
Flood in 1957 washed a way the bund of Hurulu Wewa. The second phase
of Hurulu wewa was completed in 1958.
1976 Hurulu Wewa received Mahaweli Water under the Mahaweli Development
Scheme. There were faults on the feeder canal which made difficulties
in supplying water from the source to Hurulu Wewa. A detailed study
done later has enabled Mahaweli Authority to regularize water supply
to this tank.